Friday 25 January 2013

Rainy Day - Matthew Macaulay

During the residency I have made a series of paintings that have focused on my own experiences in and around Aberystwyth. The abstract paintings are created to appear vague and fragmented in their meaning, by doing this I wish to explore the relationship between with what we see and what we know. In creating this work I have used a variety of source material some of which include; my own personal memories, photographs, postcards, film stills and magazine adverts. I often focus on particular details, such as a recollection or something curious, which trigger an emotional response.


One thing I have found myself doing and enjoying since I have taken up residency is listening to the sound of the rain on the roof of the studio pods. When I have been painting it sometimes starts and it is hard to escape from the noises and its’ influence, so I have made a few paintings about the sound of rain. I have added an image at the bottom of a painting I made called 'Reverie' 



'Reverie'
2013

No comments:

Post a Comment